I have been trying to clean up my computer and came across some more of my foundation work so thought I may as well blog it. This was my second last project in foundation and the project was 'Environment'. When starting this project we had to create two mood boards one in colour and one in black and white showing the inspiration we'd found. I decided to chose fish and sea life looking mainly at scales. It was mainly the colours I found which was my inspiration for my sketchbook. For the final piece we had to either use knit or weave and use just black and white to create pieces that could relate to fashion.
One of my final ideas.
For this final idea I used chain and knitted which it. When I did this it created interesting shapes because of the knit and started to resemble fish scales. I used this as one of my final boards as well.
This project was the first time I'd ever knitted in a project.
At the beginning of last semester the Fashion students had a shirt project. The theme for the project was Scottish Heritage. My flatmates asked me to model their shirt for them and these were some of the results. She styled this using my wardrobe, maroon converse, a vintage brown belt and my vintage Levi shorts which I dip dyed in bleach myself. The photograph had to be in the style of i-D magazine.
Another part of this semester was Knit. This is the one thing I've done this semester that I loved and could see myself doing for the next four years at university.
For this project I decided to chose the theme 'Afternoon Tea' and researched around tea, the cups etc and macaroons. After drawing from all three of these sections I soon realised my strongest work came from my tea research and I loved the colour palette from this section.
Working from this I started to hand knit and knit on the domestic machine to created an A3 garment front with two A5 sleeves.
Last year I did a art foundation course at Newcastle College.
My final project focused on 'Organic Structures', from the bones in our bodies to what we see all around us.
My main inspiration came from the soft colour palettes I had gathered from my research and from this I started to look into natural dye. One of my main focuses within this project was knitwear. So I began dye yarns, silks and string with tea, berries and anything natural I could get my hands on. This resulted in me producing two bodysuits and four knickers and four band bras using my knit samples and making them into repeat patterns on photoshop and then digitally printing them.
For my final piece I produced a hand knitted and hand dyed jumper which my friend beautifully modelled for me for my final exhibition.
These photos show my final exhibition shown at Newcastle college and the final image is from the Shipley Art Gallery in Gateshead where my work was chosen to be shown for a month there in summer and I also made scarves to sell there which are still on sale now.